- Strawberry Cake
- Strawberry Icing (Pink)
- Fondant (White, Pink and Purple)
- Apple Blossom Flowers (medium, 80-90 approx.)
- Sugar Pearls
- Sugar Water (Pink)
- Doll Cake Pan ( Wilton Site )
- Wilton Teen Doll Pick
- Cake Board and Wilton Cut-N-Spin Rotating Board
- Rolling Pin
- Paint Brush
- Apple Blossom Cutter, Medium
- Spatula (Medium and Small)
- Thick Foam
- Dusting Pouch
- Piping Bag
- Wilton Decorating Coupler
- Star Tip # 21
- 4pcs. Cake Fondant SugarCraft Cookie Gum Paste Frill Frilling Edge Skirt Cutter
- Cake Board (14 inches approx.)
- Preparing the Barbie Doll Cake:
Follow the instructions on box to bake cake. Cool the doll cake completely; level the cake on top; and trim the edges. Apply a thin coat of icing on the cake board and place the cake on top; drizzle sugar water to keep the cake moist; and apply pink icing to ice the doll cake.
- Decorating the Barbie Doll Cake:
Step 1: Roll white fondant with rolling pin on the Cut-N-Spin Rotating Board about 1/8th inches thick. Use the Frilling Edge Skirt Cutter of your choice to make 4 border cut-outs. Trim and remove the excess fondant.
Step 2: Apply a thin coat of water on the back of the border cut-outs and place them on the bottom edge of the cake. Apply gentle pressure to hold it in place. Half on the bottom edge and the other half on the cake board, to form skirt on doll cake.
Step 3: Pipe rosettes from the back part of the cake, about 1/4th inches from the border. Start as piping a star; without releasing the pressure rotate the piping bag on the edge of the star; and gently release the pressure after a circle is formed.
Step 4: Continue to make rosettes about 1/4th inches from the previous one on each row, and pipe the next row in between rosettes to fill the gaps. Make uniform rosettes as possible and continue piping on the entire skirt.
Step 5: Place pink apple blossoms on each rosettes as soon as possible, before the icing start to crust on the edges.
Step 6: Roll pink fondant about 1/8th inches thick with a rolling pin on the board and cut an rectangle shape with a small spatula. Gently lift and wrap it around the doll’s upper body to form the top of the dress. Attach it with medium pressure on the back to hold it in place and gently around the body.
Step 7: Insert the doll on top of the cake, in the center. Pipe rosettes on the top edge around the doll to complete the dress and place pink apple blossoms in the center of each rosette.
Step 8: Roll and cut purple strings about 1/4th inches wide to form a belt. Secure the belt around the waist while the fondant is moist.
Step 9: Roll and cut purple strings for the bow about 1/4th to 3/4th inches wide and varying length for the side of the doll dress. Place the longest string in the center and secure it in place.
Step 10: Place the bow loops on the top where the belt meets and complete the look by placing apple blossom on top of the bow.
Step 11: Place one apple blossom flower on top edge of the dress, near one shoulder; and one apple blossom on the back for flower button.
- Decorate the cake with thin consistency icing and rosettes with medium consistency icing.
- Drizzling the sugar water might run on the sides of the board, you could use a pastry brush to apply on the sides as the shape of the cake is not flat.
- Tie doll’s hair in a ponytail for easier access during decorating the dress.
- Apple blossoms add an elegant look to the Barbie Doll Cake. Apple blossoms and bow loops could be prepared in advance to save time.
- Preparing the purple bow strings in advance could break while attaching as the cake has a slanting shape. Prepare the bow strings fresh and attach them in place.
- Please feel free to modify the colors according to your preference as this is a cake for a dear friend of my daughter who loves pink color. She asked her mommy, “If she could have a pink doll cake for her birthday, please mommy please.”
- This cake will make any Barbie Doll lover happy, as Barbie is around a long time and grown-ups could enjoy it too along with little girls.
Enjoy this easy, quick and elegant Barbie Doll Cake to make your little one happy on her birthday or just any day for a tea party with friends!!!