- Makes 6 cups (approx.)
- Ices 8*2 layered cake and icing for decoration
- 2 cups Solid White Vegetable Shortening
- 8 cups Powder Sugar, sifted
- 1 ½ cups Hershey’s Cocoa (Natural Unsweetened)
- 2 Tablespoons Meringue Powder
- 2 teaspoons Clear Vanilla Flavor
- 4-5 Tablespoons Milk or Water
- Pinch of salt
Step 1: In a medium bowl mix powdered sugar, cocoa powder and meringue powder; set it aside.
Step 2: Cream vegetable shortening, flavoring, salt and water in a stand mixer, until creamy for about 2 minutes.
Step 3: Add the dry ingredients slowly until mixed thoroughly. Blend for about 3 minutes, until the icing is smooth and creamy.
- Chocolate icing tent to dry out faster, so keep the icing covered. If the icing seems to stiff add additional water to change to icing consistency. Stiff icing could cause tears in the cake.
- Mix well with a spatula until smooth, and then use it to ice the cake and filling decorating bag for decorations.
- Dark Chocolate lovers could substitute Hershey’s Cocoa to Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa.